I have been researching into processor advertisement as part of my task for our group project. I went on the Curry's website and looked at there processors and there use of words.
The Curry's website use information which is on the second screen shot, such as
2.93GHz Clock Speed
8MB L2 Cache
Processor and Heat sink in One Box
Level 2 Cache
This screen shot is taken form the PC world website. the INTEL processor they are advertising has high specs, I have loaded another screen shot below with its specs.
Number of Processor Cores
L3 Cache Size
Intel Socket B (LGA 1336)
Included Fan Type
L2 Cache Size
Intel Core i7
This is the only information they have provided for this advert. it is quite technical information so the person looking must have some kind of idea what the information is about. If not then a PC advisor will explain this further. My task as part of the group is to look at some different ways of processor advertisement, and explain their use of words and phrases.
So for example the first screen shot I looked at was a processor taken from Curry's website. They have used images of the processor, and some technical text that illustrates the way the processor works. I am going to go through each bit of text the way a PC advisor would, and I am going to explain it's content further.
So the first description in the Curry's processor says 2.93GHz Clock Speed.
- This means that the Hz defines the number of clock cycles per second. KHz is 1000, MHz is 1000000, GHz is 1000000000.FSB is basically the rate the data flows outside the CPU.The CPU clock speed is the rate data is passed or processed in the CPU.
So next the Curry's website said that the processor was 65NM Manufacturing.
- This means that 65NM process technology is the industry's first chip factory in Europe producing 65NM chips in high volume.
- This means that IntelR 64 architecture delivers 64-bit computing on server, workstation, desktop and mobile platforms when combined with supporting software.1 Intel 64 architecture improves performance by allowing systems to address more than 4 GB of both virtual and physical memory.
The Curry's website says that the processor has a 8MB L2 Cache.
- This is used to reduce the average time to access memory, if the cache size is bigger, then you will have a quicker loading time. 8MB is a good cache size.
- This is an important step because it keeps your processor cool. Without the heat sink, your computer would literally overheat in about 5 seconds. Processors get very hot, and can get damaged without the proper cooling. The processors box should come with a heat sink and fan.
Curry's processor has a Core Speed 2930 MHz .
- This means that the clock cycle is 2930 per second. The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a measure of frequency, informally defined as the number of events occurring per second. It is the basic unit of frequency in the International System of Units (SI), and is used worldwide in both general-purpose and scientific contexts.
The system bus that is stated in the Curry's advert means,
- In personal computers, the Front Side Bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the north bridge.
Depending on the processor used, some computers may also have a back side bus that connects the CPU to the cache. This bus and the cache connected to it is faster than accessing the system memory via the front side bus.
The bandwidth or maximum theoretical throughput of the front side bus is determined by the product of the width of its data path, its clock frequency (cycles per second) and the number of data transfers it performs per clock cycle. For example, a 32-bit (4-byte) wide FSB operating at a frequency of 100 MHz that performs 4 transfers per cycle has a bandwidth of 1600 megabytes per second (MB/s).
I have explained all the Major points and phrases what sellers use in advertisement. This should help for our group task.
thse are some font styles we were looking at in our group, project.