Sunday, 1 November 2009

unit 12, task analysis on a "sky remote"




, then the
Task Analysis When using this remote.
The objective is to get to channel "ITV"


Task analysis
  • Pick up the remote
  • Point the remote at the TV sensor
  • Using your finger press down on the top right button, to turn on the TV.
  • using your finger press the button that displays "TV guide"
  • Using your finger use the arrow keys that point up and down to navigate through your TV guide.
  • once you have found your selected channel, press the round button that displays "select".
  • your program should appear on your screen.

Please watch the video demonstration below





video
  • In this video the user picks up the sky remote.
  • while pointing at the TV sensor the user presses the top right button That turns on the TV. The user knows that it is this button because he icon displays "TV" in big  capital letters, which signifies to the user that this must be the Tv button.
  • The user then looks for a specific channel, by selecting the TV guide button.
  • when the user has approached the TV guide, they will use the up and down arrows for further navigation around the sky channels. The up and down arrows are displayed to the user as a symbol of left and right, the right meaning up and the left to communicate down.
  • As the user navigates through the channels, the user finds there specific channel and selects their channel using the round center button that displays "select" for selection. This button is position in the center of the remote and is spaced apart from the rest of the other buttons making it obvious that this button is for selection purposes only.
  • The user uses their fore finger to push the select button and their channel will appear on their TV screen.
Evaluation for the sky remote.
After speaking with the user, the user said "that the sky remote had an easy interface which had a user friendly way of navigating". However the user did say that if he or she was Blind, then there would have been difficulties because there was no sound responses to the buttons or even Braille marks on the buttons for touch senses.
In this case she said " this product doesn't meet all needs and fails on the interface".
In terms of visual communication, she said "the sky remote had a very neat interface, the buttons were placed in a organised order". she new what to press because of the icons displayed. ( example the on / off, button, has a icon that represents power on all modern remotes. And the standard play and stop buttons have always been the same icons since the traditional tape player, when we had to manually push the cogs into action for the tape to run.
These icons on the sky remote are all part of visual cues where we are looking around for symbols to tell us to respond to that symbol, and the symbol will respond back however it is programmed.


Task Analysis on a LG Cookie / calculator.


  • pick up phone
  • press any button to display unlock screen
  • Hold the icon on the touch screen which says "hold to unlock"
  • After the user has unlocked, the menu paged will appear.
  • In order for the user to get to the calculator, the user must accomplish certain tasks.
  • On the menu display, the user must press the blue icon that displays "communicate"
  • Once on the communication page the user will then navigate to the icon that looks like a clock, this displays "Utilities".
  • Inside the Utilities section, the user will see the calculator button.
  • The user should touch the screen where the button is displayed and select the button by only touching it's interface.
  • When the calculator interface appears the user inputs information by touching the screen.
  • To exit the calculator the user presses the bottom right button with their finger, This command will exit the calculator mode.

The video below will demonstrate how this process works.





video

In this video, i filmed, the user, clearly shows what they are doing.
The video shows how the user has to touch the screen in order to navigate through the phone.
The phone has no sounds when navigating, but there are sound options to set if the user is deaf.

Evaluation of the LG Cookie
After filming the user, I asked the user there thoughts I this interface.
The user said "this interface would be confusing to those who have never used this product, because it doesn't give you enough clues where to go or which button click next."
However the user did say that it didn't take long before she found her way around the interface.

In terms of visual communication i asked the user did the images, icons and colours work for this interface, the user said " I liked the fact then when you pressed a button it showed you pictures of different images, this helped me to navigate around my phone."

This product had a good interface with good icons to help the user find there way around there phone, but the interface was lacking on sound for blind users. There was no signs of sounds for if a blind user was to navigate through this phone so they would be lost! and also i noticed, most phones are moving to touch screen , how can a blind user feel a button on a screen where a button doesn't even exist?



Below is a video of a microwave I filmed, showing simple actions taking place.


video
This video shows simple user tasks, using a microwave interface.
  • The user places a bowl of water in the microwave
  • The user then shuts the door and enters a time using the microwaves interface.
  • By pressing the buttons on the interface, the user wants to heat up the water, so the user presses the "high" button for fast results.
  • Next the user puts there time in, 10 seconds is there time, by pressing "10 seconds" once and for 20 seconds the user simply presses it twice.
  • To begin cooking, the user presses the "start" button located at the bottom of the microwave.
Evaluation on the Microwave/ heating the up the water

After filming this video I asked the user, who had never used my microwave interface How easy was there first task, which was to heat up some water for ten seconds. The user said, "having used microwaves before I found this quite easy but I have never used this microwave.
I placed the water into the microwave then looked for the setting HIGH as most micro waves have this option then the interface told me to "set a time" so I went to the time button where it states "Min's" "secs" and I pressed "10 secs" then I assumed that was it, so I pressed the start button as the interface told me too!."


videoThis video shows a much harder task using the same micro wave and user interface.

Evaluation on the Microwave/ changing the time.

After filming this video I asked the user, who had never used my microwave interface How easy was there second task, which was to change the clock time. The user said,"I have never used your micro wave before and I don't even know how to change my own clock time on my own microwave.
First of all I turned off the microwave from the main plug. Then i turned it back on, this would bring up some changes on the interface and hopefully tell me what to do.
as I turned the plug back on the interface told me to look in my instructions for settings.
so I had to think, I looked on the interface and I needed to change the clock settings or time,
there was a button on there that had a icon which displayed "clock", so I pressed the button and the interface changed. It was now saying "Time settings" and it looked ready for me to change the new time.
 I thought by using the digits on the interface that display" sec" "Min's" "hour" I can change the interface time. so I pressed hour until I reached the hour I was on, then I pressed the min button until I reached the correct time in min, then I confirmed this time by pressing the clock button again, and the time was correct.
Overall this seemed a straight forward task. I think the help of the icons on the interface were the biggest help in this task".
"However of this task was completed by somebody who has new experience in technology  then I think they would need a little help."

No comments: